Friday, April 10, 2015

Review of Sawyer Bennett's Clash: A Legal Affairs Story

   



 Synopsis:

Clash (verb): to conflict, disagree.

It might be fair to say that I despise Macy Carrington. She slings insults with precision, not caring about the destruction she leaves in her wake. We clash in a battle of wills every time we’re around each other, and yet… I still fantasize about being lodged deep within her body.

Clash (verb): to come together or collide.

I have never encountered someone that grates me the way Cal Carson does. His pompous, arrogant demeanor. A holier-than-thou attitude. Any interaction with “Saint Cal” ends in a verbal clash of epic proportions, and yet… there’s no one I’d rather have in my bed than him.

Clash (noun): a battle, fight or skirmish.

Her breathy moans mingle with the sound of our flesh coming together, clashing with the silence that surrounds us, dispelling any notions I once had about Macy Carrington.

Maybe I can break down her walls if we can call a truce to this battle.

He whispers filthy words in my ear, provoking feelings I never knew were possible. The burning desire in his touch clashes with everything I once believed about Cal Carson.

Maybe he can be the balm I need to soothe my broken soul, if only temporarily.

     

      One thing that drives me crazy, sometimes in a good way, is when authors leave a book in a steep cliffhanger. That is exactly what Sawyer Bennett did with her book Clash: A Legal Affairs Story. It has left me waiting eagerly for the next book. I can't wait until it comes out. I want to know what happens with the rest of the story.
     
      Let me give you a little background on the book. The story is told from Cal Carson's perspective . We first meet him when he's arriving at a first birthday party for his best friend Mac's son. He comments to himself how over the top everything is for a kid's birthday party. That's when we learn about Mac's best friend Macy Carrington. She is the one that is hosting the birthday party. She is rich but has some deep dark secrets, we learn later in the book. Macy and Cal do not get along at all. If they do talk to each other it is to insult each other. Mac hates that her two friends don't get along. Mac's husband, Matt Connover, recognizes the sparring for what it is sexual tension. One of the few lines Matt has is "Get all that pent-up energy and dislike out by doing something I know you both enjoy doing. You two could have some really amazing, angry sex." Macy and Cal end up doing something at the party (read the book to find out what) that ruins each other for any other person. 
      
     Cal had a girlfriend before the party but they had broken up about six months prior. Her name is Camille Grant. Cal and Camille try to reconnect after Cal goes to the birthday party. I will leave it up to you to find out what happens between them. 
      
     The book ends when Macy is being sued by one of her one night stands. Cal ends up being her lawyer. The cliffhanger is Macy and Cal trying to resist each other in Cal's office.

      I love the flow of this book. Some books start out slowly building the story. Not this one it's like a rollercoaster ride, that I did not want to get off of. It's goes up and down and had me on the edge of my seat wanting to know what was going to happen next. I love how Sawyer tied in some diary entries of Macy's. That let us into the head of Macy, if only a little. I would love to know more about the situation between Mac, Cal and Matt. That is a weird triangle of friends.
















No comments:

Post a Comment