Sunday, July 26, 2015

A Man of Character by Margaret Locke





I'm doing something different with this blog post. As of right now I haven't read this book but by the synopsis I felt I had to tell people about this book and author. I will be writing a review once I get the book in the mail. I'm very excited to read this book. It looks like a really good one. I love the story behind the story and I hope you will too. So I'm going to tell you about this book and author and let you decide if you would like to read it and I really hope you do. I will add my review later.






Thirty-five-year-old Catherine Schreiber has shelved love for good. Keeping her ailing bookstore afloat takes all her time, and she’s perfectly fine with that. So when several men ask her out in short order, she’s not sure what to do…especially since something about them seems eerily familiar. 

A startling revelation - that these men are fictional characters she’d created and forgotten years ago - forces Cat to reevaluate her world and the people in it. Because these characters are alive. Here. Now. And most definitely in the flesh. 

Her best friend, Eliza, a romance novel junkie craving her own Happily Ever After, is thrilled by the possibilities. The power to create Mr. Perfect - who could pass that up? But can a relationship be real if it’s fiction? Caught between fantasy and reality, Cat must decide which - or whom - she wants more. 

Blending humor with unusual twists, including a magical manuscript, a computer scientist in shining armor, and even a Regency ball, A Man of Character tells a story not only of love, but also of the lengths we'll go for friendship, self-discovery, and second chances.










Not a buy link but it's a good link to have   








As a teen, Margaret Locke pledged to write romances when she grew up. Once an adult, however, she figured she ought to be doing grown-up things, not penning steamy love stories. Yeah, whatever. Turning forty cured her of that silly notion. Margaret is now happily ensconced back in the clutches of her first love, this time as an author as well as a reader. Margaret lives in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in Virginia with her fantastic husband, two fab kids, and two fat cats. You can usually find her in front of some sort of screen (electronic or window; she’s come to terms with the fact that she’s not an outdoors person). Please visit her at margaretlocke.com




How did you come up with the story for Man of Character?

As for the spark behind A Man of Character? On a dinner date with my husband a few years ago, I confessed that what I most wanted to do now that I had grown up (er, I mean, now that our kids were both in school) was write. His answer? "Go for it." 

On the way home from that same date, as I mulled over potential story ideas in my head, I suddenly blurted out, “What if a woman discovers she’s dating fictional characters she’d made up?” Husband nodded. “Sounds intriguing,” he said. And that was the beginning. 

I got up the next day and started sketching out details – who was this woman? What kind of men would she have made up? Why? 

As I wrote down the details, the story played out like a movie in my head, with snippets of conversation floating in here or there. Of course A Man of Character went through numerous drafts – for example, in the first one, there wasn't any explanation for why these men show up; they just did! Other things changed, too, but the core of the novel remained the same. And I still love it. I hope everyone else does, too. 


























No comments:

Post a Comment